1040 Tax Form: Where to Find Annuity Income on the Form

Shawn Plummer

CEO, The Annuity Expert

How to Report Annuity Income on Tax Return?

Many people get stumped on reporting annuity income when tax season rolls around. But with some guidance, it’s more straightforward than you might think.

  • Locate the Right Form and Line: On your 1040 Tax Form, look for the line labeled “Pensions and annuities.” This is where you’ll input the combined total of your pension and annuity income for the year. This section ensures that the IRS knows about these sources of income, and it will be factored into any tax owed or refunded.
  • Gather Documentation: Your insurance company should provide you with a Form 1099-R. This form will detail the distributions you received from your annuity for that tax year. Keep this handy, as it’s an essential reference when filling out your 1040.
  • Input the Correct Amount: On Form 1099-R, look for the box labeled “Gross Distribution.” This represents the total amount paid to you from the annuity. Enter this number on the “Pensions and annuities” line of your 1040 form.
  • Consider Tax-Deferred Annuities: Things are a bit different if you own a tax-deferred annuity. You’ll only pay taxes on the earnings, not the principal amount you invested. So, you might not enter the total “Gross Distribution” amount on your 1040. Your Form 1099-R will indicate the taxable amount.

What are Pensions and Annuities on 1040?

Pensions and annuities are sources of income typically received after retirement. While both provide a steady income stream, they come from different sources. Pensions often come from a former employer’s retirement plan, while annuities are insurance products you purchase to provide a regular income.

Pension and annuity income are grouped on the 1040 Tax Form because they’re both considered taxable, much like your wages or salary.

How To Report Annuity Income On Tax Return

Why It Matters?

You might be wondering why all this is crucial. Correctly reporting your annuity income ensures you comply with IRS guidelines, which can prevent penalties or additional tax liabilities down the line. Understanding where and how to report this income will make you feel more confident during tax season, ensuring you’re not leaving money on the table.

Pension And Annuities On Tax Return

Beyond the Basics: An Expert Tip

Having worked with annuities for many years, I’ve learned a pro tip: Always keep a keen eye on your Form 1099-R. Occasionally, errors can occur. If something doesn’t look right or the numbers seem off, contact your insurance company for clarification before filing your return.

1040 Tax Form Where To Find Annuity Income On The Form


Finding and reporting your annuity income on the 1040 Tax Form might seem daunting initially, but it’s pretty straightforward once you understand the basics. Always locate the “Pensions and annuities” line on your form, refer to your Form 1099-R for accurate numbers, and remember the differences with tax-deferred annuities. By doing so, you’ll navigate tax season with ease and confidence. And as always, seeking advice from a tax professional can be invaluable if you’re ever in doubt.

Request A Quote

Get help or a quote from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

What is 5b on 1040?

“5b” on a 1040 tax form does not have a specific meaning. The 1040 form is the standard individual income tax form used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the United States to report an individual’s taxable income. The form is divided into sections, each with different lines and schedules, where different types of income and deductions are reported. It’s possible that “5b” refers to a specific line item on the form, but without additional context, it’s impossible to determine what it represents.

How is annuity income reported?

On your 1040 Tax Form, look for the line labeled “Pensions and annuities.” This is where you’ll input the combined total of your pension and annuity income for the year. This section ensures that the IRS knows about these sources of income, and it will be factored into any tax owed or refunded.

What are pensions and annuities on 1040?

Pensions and annuities on Form 1040 are types of retirement income that individuals report on their tax return. Employers usually provide pensions, while annuities are investment products that pay a regular income. Both must be included in the taxable income section of the Form 1040 when filing taxes.

How to report annuity income on a tax return.

To report annuity income on a tax return, an individual should gather their Form 1099-R, which reports the distribution, and fill out Form 1040. They must report the taxable portion of the annuity on the appropriate line of the tax return and pay any applicable taxes. It’s recommended to consult with a tax professional for guidance specific to their situation.

Do I need an annuity if I have a pension?

Deciding whether you need an annuity when you already have a pension depends on several factors related to your financial situation, retirement goals, and the specifics of your pension plan.

Shawn Plummer

CEO, The Annuity Expert

Shawn Plummer is a licensed financial professional, insurance agent, and annuity broker with over 14 years of first-hand experience with annuities and insurance. Since beginning his journey in 2009, he has been pivotal in selling and educating about annuities and insurance products. Still, he has also played an instrumental role in training financial advisors for a prestigious Fortune Global 500 insurance company, Allianz. His insights and expertise have made him a sought-after voice in the industry, leading to features in renowned publications such as Time Magazine, Bloomberg, Entrepreneur, Yahoo! Finance, MSN, SmartAsset, The Simple Dollar, U.S. News and World Report, Women’s Health Magazine, and many more. Shawn’s driving ambition? To simplify retirement planning, he ensures his clients understand their choices and secure the best insurance coverage at unbeatable rates.

The Annuity Expert is an independent online insurance agency servicing consumers across the United States. The goal is to help you take the guesswork out of retirement planning and find the best insurance coverage at the cheapest rates

Scroll to Top