Do I Need US Health Insurance If I Live Abroad?
No, you do not need US health insurance if you live abroad. Instead, you require International Health Insurance, specifically tailored for individuals residing outside their home country for extended periods, typically over 12 months. This insurance covers a range of medical services that are essential for expatriates.
What is International Health Insurance?
International Health Insurance is a policy designed for expatriates and global citizens who live or work abroad for a year or more. Unlike travel insurance, which is short-term and more emergency-focused, international health insurance provides comprehensive coverage that mirrors domestic health insurance. It includes:
- Preventative Care: Regular health check-ups and immunizations.
- Emergency Services: Immediate care in case of accidents or sudden illness.
- Routine Medical Care: Doctor visits for non-emergency illnesses.
- Prescription Medication: Coverage for prescribed drugs.
- Maternity Care: For pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn care.
- Mental Health Services: Counseling and psychiatric services.
Benefits of International Health Insurance
- Global Coverage: You can receive medical care in multiple countries.
- Flexibility: Tailor your coverage to your specific needs and circumstances.
- Peace of Mind: Ensures continuous healthcare coverage when moving abroad.
Choosing the Right Policy
When selecting an international health insurance plan, consider:
- Coverage Needs: Assess the level of coverage you require based on health, age, and destination.
- Geographical Coverage: Ensure the policy covers healthcare in your destination country.
- Exclusions: Be aware of what is not covered, such as pre-existing conditions.
- Cost: Balance the comprehensiveness of coverage with the premium costs.
If living abroad for an extended period, International Health Insurance is essential for comprehensive healthcare coverage. It offers tailored, flexible, and global medical coverage, ensuring peace of mind during your stay overseas.
Contact us today for a free quote.
Request A Quote
Get help or a quote from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.