Welcome to a candid and clear-cut exploration of Fidelity’s annuities. As a seasoned annuity broker, I’ve navigated the complex waters of retirement planning for over ten years. My mission? To demystify annuities for you, the savvy saver, seeking security and growth for your golden years.
Fidelity’s Annuity Options at a Glance
|Annuity Type||Control Over Money||Potential for Growth||Risk of Loss||Fees|
|Immediate Fixed Income||None||None||None||Low|
|Deferred Fixed Income||None||None||None||Low|
How Do Fidelity’s Annuities Work?
Fidelity offers several types of annuities:
- Immediate Fixed Income Annuities: You invest a lump sum, and in return, you get regular payments starting almost immediately.
- Deferred Fixed Income Annuities: These are similar to their immediate counterparts but start paying out at a future date you choose.
- Variable Annuity: Your payments are tied to the performance of investment options you select, which means there’s potential for growth but also a risk of loss.
Why Choose (or Not Choose) Fidelity’s Annuities?
- Expertise: Fidelity’s financial representatives bring a wealth of knowledge to the table.
- Simplicity: Their immediate and deferred fixed income annuities offer straightforward, predictable income.
- Limited Options: Fidelity’s financial representatives are limited in what they can offer to their clients.
- Lower Rates: Fidelity fixed annuities often offer lower rates than most fixed annuity rates available in the market.
- Loss of Control: Fidelity’s income annuities require annuitization, meaning once you commit, you can’t change your mind.
- Fees and Risks: Fidelity’s variable annuities come with hefty fees and the potential to lose money.
- No Indexed Annuities: Fidelity does not offer indexed annuities, which can provide interest based on stock market performance without direct market risk.
The Benefits of Shopping with an Independent Annuity Broker
Unlike a captive agency, which is limited to offering products from one provider, an independent annuity broker can scour the market to find the best fit for you. This means more options, potentially better rates, and a retirement solution tailored to your unique needs.
Fidelity Annuity Review: The Conclusion
Fidelity’s annuities can be a solid choice for those seeking a straightforward, predictable income in retirement. However, it’s crucial to weigh the pros and cons. While Fidelity offers expertise and simplicity, their offerings come with limitations, such as lower rates and less control over your funds. Moreover, the fees and risks associated with their variable annuities can’t be ignored. For a truly tailored retirement plan, consider shopping with an independent annuity broker who can offer a wider selection and potentially better solutions. Remember, the right annuity can be a cornerstone of a secure retirement, but it’s essential to choose one that aligns with your financial goals and comfort with risk.
Request A Quote
Get help from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.