Can people who use marijuana get life insurance?
Can marijuana smokers get life insurance? Yes, individuals who smoke marijuana can obtain life insurance. In many cases, they may even qualify for non-smoker rates.
Qualifying for Non-Smoker Rates
- Recreational Use: Marijuana users, including those who consume it recreationally, might be eligible for non-smoker rates.
- Medical Use: If marijuana is used for medical purposes, this can also be a factor in determining eligibility and rates.
Life Insurance Quotes For Marijuana Consumption
Factors In The Underwriting Decision
- Age of Applicant
- Purpose of usage, either medicinal or recreational use
- Frequency of use
- Date of last use
- Any treatments related to use
- Driving Record
- Criminal history
- Participation in Aviation or Avocation
Can I Get Life Insurance If I’m Consuming Marijuana Medicinally?
Medical marijuana is cannabis generally taken under a physician’s direction. It may be prescribed in some states or obtained over the counter (OTC). Prescribed marijuana is considered a “compassionate use” to relieve pain, nausea, or anorexia due to cancer or AIDS.
It may also be prescribed for persistent muscle spasms associated with MS, severe nausea, seizures, glaucoma, or chronic pain (i.e., arthritis, migraine headaches).
When prescribed by or taken under the direction of a physician, any rating assessed will generally be based on the underlying condition, not the actual use of medicinal marijuana.
Life insurance coverage for those that consume medicinal marijuana will depend primarily on the medical condition, not the amount or frequency of marijuana consumed.
Insider Tips For Life Insurance For Marijuana Smokers
With over a decade of experience in the insurance industry, we’ve gained real-world knowledge about how life insurance and marijuana usage intersect. Here’s a simplified explanation:
- High-Quality Rate Classes for Marijuana Users: Marijuana users can qualify for top-rate classes in life insurance.
- Unlimited Usage Acceptance: Insurers may offer policies to those with unlimited marijuana usage.
- Variations in Tobacco Rating: While some companies classify marijuana users as tobacco users, resulting in higher rates, we know of insurers that don’t follow this practice. Contact us for more information.
- Vaping Marijuana Oil: Most carriers automatically decline applicants who vape marijuana oil. Those who don’t decline typically categorize these applicants as smokers, affecting rates.
- Impact of Psychological Issues: If there’s a history of psychological conditions like Bipolar Disorder or Depression, marijuana usage can significantly influence the underwriting process.
Need Help Getting Life Insurance Coverage?
Contact us if you need help purchasing a life insurance policy. The service is free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get life insurance if I consume marijuana?
Under specific circumstances, you can get coverage. Underwriting depends on past and current use of marijuana, frequency of use, applicant’s age, and a urine test result.