A Brighthouse SecureAdvantage 6-Year Fixed Index Annuity offers 100% protection for your purchase payment against market downturns.
It features Index Accounts – including innovative Annual Sum Index Accounts – that provide growth opportunities linked to two well-known market indices.
What’s more, it offers access to a portion of your money each year should the need arise and a death benefit that keeps pace with your selected Index Accounts.
Brighthouse SecureAdvantage 6-Year is designed to provide the protection, growth opportunity, and clarity you need.
What Makes Our FIA Different?
While there are many fixed index annuities to choose from, SecureAdvantage 6-Year offers features most FIAs don’t.
- A product that offers 100% protection for your purchase payment against market downturns with the opportunity to participate in market gains
- A death benefit that allows you to provide for your beneficiaries
- Innovative Annual Sum Index Accounts offer a greater opportunity for growth than some FIA products
- Performance Lock lets you secure an index value on any business day
- Growth potential is linked to two major market indices – S&P 500 Index and Russell 2000 Index
- No annual fees
- Unlike most FIAs, on any day throughout the index term, you can track how your contract is performing
- Free Withdrawal Amount available during each contract year
These differentiators include:
- 6-Year Annual Sum Index Accounts offer a greater opportunity for growth than some FIAs. The product also features 6-Year Point-to-Point Index Accounts and a Fixed Account.
- The daily difference lets you monitor the moving parts of your contract: Values in the contract are updated every business day so you can track how your contract is performing. The Death Benefit Amount is updated daily and has the potential to increase based on your chosen Index Accounts. This is the amount that will be available to your beneficiaries should the unexpected happen.
- The Performance Lock feature is available with the 6-Year Point-to-Point with Participation Rate Index Account only. This feature allows you to lock in the value of your chosen index on any business day once during the initial 6-Year Index Term. Once selected, this choice is irrevocable. This value will then be used to calculate the performance of the Index Account for the remainder of the index term.
Investing in equity markets is a risky but potentially rewarding endeavor. Historically, market values have grown steadily over time and have even achieved record highs, but the impact of the next prolonged market downturn on your retirement portfolio is something to consider if you’re close to or entering retirement.
More Than Meets The Eye
SecureAdvantage 6-Year has a number of features that may help you worry less about this portion of your retirement portfolio. These include:
- 100% Protection Against Market Downturns: Even if the index is negative for prolonged periods, you can be assured that your purchase payment is protected.
- Death Benefit: This feature ensures that your loved ones are helped financially if the unexpected happens. You can track your contract’s available Death Benefit Amount daily.
- Tax Deferral: Annuities provide the advantage of tax-deferred growth, which means you don’t pay taxes until you take a withdrawal.
- Rate Guarantee: The rate for the initial 6-Year Index Term is set at issue and will not change during the term.
How does SecureAdvantage 6-Year help grow your tomorrow money?
Now that you know how SecureAdvantage 6-Year can offer protection, it’s time for you to select a growth strategy that best fits your needs.
It’s a two-step process that should be considered carefully.
Decide on your one-time purchase payment amount.
Increased rates may be available for purchase payment amounts that meet specific dollar thresholds.
Choose the Index Account(s) that best meet your growth goals.
Index Accounts Designed to Fit Your Needs
Brighthouse Financial’s SecureAdvantage 6-Year tracks the performance of an index.
Based on the Cap Rate or Participation Rate, it offers market-based growth opportunities via Index Accounts while providing 100% protection for your purchase payment.
What’s an Index Account?
An Index Account drives the potential growth of your SecureAdvantage 6-Year contract based on your Index Account’s applicable crediting strategy – the Cap Rate or Participation Rate. The four components that make up an Index Account for this contract are:
- Index Term: The initial index term of an Index Account is 6 years.
- Index: The performance of the S&P 500 Index or Russell 2000 Index helps determine any index-linked interest credited to your account at the end of the selected index term.
- Index Index-Linked Interest Method: The method – Annual Sum or Point-to-Point – is used to determine how index performance is calculated during the index term.
- Crediting Strategy: The strategy – Cap Rate or Participation Rate – determines the amount of positive index performance that is calculated during and/or credited to your account at the end of the applicable index term.
With 100% protection for your purchase payment against market downturns and no annual fees, SecureAdvantage 6-Year is designed to provide a degree of certainty for your portfolio.
Plus, it allows you to track your performance daily.
The Daily Difference
With SecureAdvantage 6-Year, you have a window into your contract’s performance during an index term through daily updated values of the Index Accounts, which includes the Daily Performance Value.
This value is not guaranteed to be what you would receive at withdrawal before the end of the index term nor reflects the actual performance you would receive at the end of the index term.
Death Benefit Amount
You can build tomorrow’s money and plan for the future of your loved ones should the unexpected happen.
Your beneficiaries will receive the greater of:
- The sum of the Death Benefit Values of each Index Account and/or the Fixed Account; or
- The Guaranteed Minimum Surrender Value (GMSV).
Brighthouse Life Insurance is also an inexpensive way to leave a death benefit to beneficiaries.
Free Withdrawal Amount
You can withdraw up to 10% of your annuity’s purchase payment each contract year free of Withdrawal Charge and Market Value Adjustment (MVA).
Please keep in mind that if you withdraw more money than the Free Withdrawal Amount allowed by the contract, or if you surrender or “cash-out” your annuity before the end of the Withdrawal Charge period, a Withdrawal Charge and MVA may be applied.
Market Value Adjustment
If a withdrawal is made that exceeds the Free Withdrawal Amount, an MVA may apply in addition to Withdrawal Charges.
The adjustment to your withdrawal value could be positive or negative, based on a formula using current interest rates, relative to interest rates at issue.
Here’s how it works.
In general, if market interest rates, based on the applicable Constant Maturity Treasury rate, are higher than they were on the date you purchased your contract, your withdrawal value will be lower.
If market interest rates are currently lower than they were when you purchased your contract, your withdrawal value will be higher.
Additionally, the amount of time remaining in the Withdrawal Charge period can also be a factor in the adjustment to the withdrawal value.
So, assuming the same change in interest rates, the more time that is left in the Withdrawal Charge period when a withdrawal is made, the larger the adjustment would be.
Please note that the withdrawal value will never be lower than the Guaranteed Minimum Surrender Value attributable to each withdrawal outlined in your contract.
Guaranteed Minimum Surrender Value
Upon full surrender, payment of death benefit, or annuitization, the amount you receive will never be less than the GMSV.
As specified in your contract, the GMSV is a percentage of your purchase payment accumulated at the GMSV interest rate, adjusted for withdrawals, and any premium tax or other taxes.
Withdrawal Charge Waivers After First Contract Year
Nursing Home Waiver
After the first contract year, we will waive the Withdrawal Charges and MVA if you or a joint owner becomes confined to a nursing home or hospital for at least 90 consecutive days.
Terminal Illness Waiver
After the first contract year, we will waive the Withdrawal Charges and MVA if you or a joint owner is diagnosed with a terminal illness and not expected to live more than 12 months.