International student health insurance is a vital part of studying abroad. If something happens while you are overseas, it is important to have coverage to help you get the medical care you need. In this guide, we will answer all of your questions about international student health insurance! We will cover everything from what it is to how it works, and we will also provide some tips on choosing the right policy for you. So read on to learn more!
- What is International Student Health Insurance?
- Why is International Student Health Insurance Important?
- How Does International Student Health Insurance Work?
- How Much Does International Student Health Insurance Cost?
- How Do I Choose the Right Policy?
- Who is student travel health insurance perfect for?
- How much does International Student Health Insurance cost?
- What Does International Student Health Insurance Cover?
- What services and treatments are covered while abroad?
- What Should I Look for When Choosing a Policy?
- Best Travel Insurance For International Students and Exchange Students
- Next Steps
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Need Help Getting Insurance?
What is International Student Health Insurance?
International student health insurance is a type of international health insurance specifically designed to cover medical costs for students studying abroad. It can provide coverage for things like hospital stays, doctor visits, and prescription drugs, and it can also help reimburse you for any expenses you may incur while traveling.
These international health insurance plans are designed specifically for students or scholars studying abroad.
This international student insurance plan meets student visa requirements and includes maternity care, mental health care, organized sports, and global emergency care.
Your domestic health insurance plan will not cover your medical or dental expenses outside your home country.
Why is International Student Health Insurance Important?
International student health insurance is a critical aspect of studying abroad. Here are a few reasons why it is essential:
- Protects against unexpected medical expenses: Health insurance protects unexpected medical expenses that might arise while studying abroad. It covers various medical expenses such as hospitalization, doctor’s visits, and emergency care.
- Compliant with student visa requirements: Many countries require students to have health insurance coverage as part of the student visa requirements. Without proper insurance coverage, students may face difficulties renewing their visas or may have to leave the country.
- Peace of mind: Health insurance coverage provides peace of mind, knowing that you have access to the best medical care in an emergency. This can help students to concentrate on their studies without any worries.
- Financial security: Health insurance coverage can be expensive, especially for international students who may not have access to the same discounts and subsidies as local students. With insurance coverage, students can secure their finances and avoid medical expenses.
How Does International Student Health Insurance Work?
You’ll likely be responsible for obtaining your own health insurance when you study abroad. Depending on your program, your school may require that you have international student health insurance. Even if it’s not required, purchasing a policy is probably a good idea. That way, you’ll be covered in case of an unexpected illness or injury.
Most international student health insurance plans offer reimbursement for medical expenses. That means you’ll pay for care out of pocket and then submit a claim to the insurance company to get back some or all of the money. Some plans also offer direct billing, meaning the provider will bill the insurance company directly. Either way, you’ll likely have to pay at least some of the costs out of pocket.
Some international student health insurance plans also offer coverage for things like evacuation and repatriation. That means that if there’s a natural disaster or political unrest in your country of study, the insurance company will help you get to a safe location. And if you need to return home for any reason, they’ll help with the logistics and expense of doing so.
Of course, no one wants to think about getting sick or injured while they’re studying abroad. But it’s always better to be prepared just in case. International student health insurance can give you peace of mind and help you manage the costs of unexpected medical care.
How Much Does International Student Health Insurance Cost?
International student health insurance costs depend on various factors, such as the coverage offered, the insurance provider, and the length of coverage. On average, international student health insurance costs range from $50 to $200 per month.
How Do I Choose the Right Policy?
There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to how international student health insurance works:
- First and foremost, ensuring that your policy covers you while traveling is important. Many policies will only cover you if you are traveling within your home country, so check before you buy.
- Second, most policies have a waiting period before they start covering you. This means that you may not be able to use your insurance immediately if something happens. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of your policy to find out how long the waiting period is.
- Third, be aware of what is not covered by your policy. For example, many policies do not cover pre-existing conditions, so if you have a health issue that requires treatment, check whether it is covered.
Who is student travel health insurance perfect for?
- Individuals and groups of students participating in international programs
- Exchange student participants
- Graduate international students
- Scholars and educators experiencing worldwide travel.
How much does International Student Health Insurance cost?
Travel insurance ranges in cost. With that said, coverage can vary from $29 per person, per month on the low end up to $85 per month depending on:
- Trip Length
- Travelers Age
- Trip Cost
- Deductible Amount
- Global Coverage Amount
What Does International Student Health Insurance Cover?
International student health insurance coverage varies depending on the selected insurance provider and plan. Some of the standard coverage provided by international student health insurance includes:
- Hospitalization: Coverage for hospitalization, surgery, and other medical expenses incurred while in the hospital.
- Doctor’s visits: Coverage for doctor’s visits, including consultations, diagnostic tests, and medical procedures.
- Prescription drugs: Coverage for prescription drugs and medication prescribed by a doctor.
- Emergency care: Coverage for emergency medical care, including ambulance services and emergency room visits.
- Mental health: Coverage for mental health services, including counseling and therapy sessions.
What services and treatments are covered while abroad?
- Hospital or Medical Facility Room and Board
- Intensive Care
- Emergency Room Injury
- Emergency Room Illness resulting in Hospitalization
- Emergency Room Illness without Inpatient Admission
- Mental or Nervous/Substance Abuse
- Prescription Drugs
- Physical Therapy
- Local Ambulance
- Dental Benefits
- Eligible Medical Expenses
- Inter-facility Ambulance Transfer
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Emergency Evacuation from Natural Disasters
- Emergency Assistance
- Emergency Reunion
- Return of Mortal Remains
- Political Evacuation and Repatriation
- Intercollegiate Sports
- Interscholastic Sports
- Intramural Sports
- Club Sports
- Incidental Trip Coverage
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Personal Liability
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Policy?
There are a few things to consider when choosing an international student health insurance policy:
- The amount of coverage that is provided
- The deductible amount
- The coinsurance rate
- The provider network
- The exclusions and limitations
Best Travel Insurance For International Students and Exchange Students
International student health insurance is a vital tool for any student studying abroad. It can help cover unexpected medical costs and provide peace of mind in case of an emergency. If you’re interested in learning more about international student health insurance or if you’d like a quote, contact us today. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you find the right insurance plan for your needs.
Need Help Getting Insurance?
Contact us today if you want personalized service from a licensed insurance agent. Free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is international student health insurance mandatory for all international students?
While all international students don’t need to have health insurance, it is highly recommended. Many universities and countries require students to have insurance coverage as part of their visa requirements.
Does international student health insurance cover pre-existing medical conditions?
It depends on the insurance provider and the plan selected. Some insurance providers may cover pre-existing medical conditions, while others may not. Therefore, it is essential to read the terms and conditions of the insurance policy carefully before selecting a plan.
Can international student health insurance be extended after graduation?
Yes, international student health insurance can be extended after graduation. However, the cost and coverage of the insurance policy may change after graduation.