Understanding the Underwriting Process with Diabetes
When applying for life insurance, having diabetes will indeed impact the underwriting process. Underwriters assess your overall health, including the management and control of your diabetes, to determine your insurance rates.
Factors Influencing Life Insurance Rates for Diabetics
- Control of Diabetes: Well-managed diabetes, evidenced by stable blood sugar levels and adherence to treatment, can lead to more favorable rates.
- Type of Diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are evaluated differently. Generally, Type 2, often associated with better control, may result in better rates.
- Associated Health Issues: Complications such as cardiovascular disease or kidney problems can increase premiums.
- Lifestyle Factors: A healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a balanced diet, can positively influence rates.
Strategies for Securing Better Rates
- Regular Monitoring: Consistent monitoring and management of blood sugar levels.
- Medical Documentation: Provide comprehensive medical records showing effective diabetes management.
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: Maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, and follow a balanced diet.
Examples of Rate Outcomes
- Standard Rates: Achievable for diabetics with good control and no significant complications.
- Preferred Rates: Possible in rare cases with exceptional diabetes management and overall health.
Life Insurance Rates for Diabetics
|Diabetes Control Level
|Expected Rate Outcome
|Minimal to None
|Standard to Preferred
|Standard to Slightly Higher
|High to Declined Coverage
While diabetes does affect the life insurance underwriting process, with good management and a healthy lifestyle, it is possible to obtain Standard or even better rates. Effective control of diabetes is key to securing favorable insurance terms.
Contact us today for a free quote.
Get a Free Life Insurance Quote
Get help from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.