Why Physical Therapists Need Disability Insurance
Given the nature of their profession and the potential risks involved, physical therapists have a particularly strong case for obtaining disability insurance.
Here’s why it’s important:
First-Hand Experience with Disabilities
- Direct Observations: Physical therapists regularly see the impact of disabilities on their patients’ lives. This first-hand experience underscores the importance of being prepared for unexpected personal disabilities.
- Awareness of Risks: Their professional exposure to various disabilities heightens awareness of the potential personal risks.
Potential Breadwinners of the Family
- Financial Responsibility: Many physical therapists are the primary breadwinners in their families. A disability could significantly impact their ability to support their loved ones.
- Income Protection: Disability insurance ensures that they can still provide for their family if they cannot work due to injury or illness.
Physical Nature of the Job
- Occupational Strain: The job of a physical therapist often involves physical exertion, which can lead to work-related injuries or chronic issues over time.
- Preventive Measure: Having disability insurance is a proactive step in managing the risks associated with the physical demands of their work.
Growing Profession in the US
- Increasing Numbers: With over 240,000 physical therapists in the US and an expected growth of 17% (faster than the national average), the profession is expanding rapidly. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Physical Therapists. Based on the 10-year period 2021–2031.
- Higher Demand for Coverage: As the profession grows, so does the need for comprehensive disability insurance to protect these professionals.
Physical therapists, with their unique perspective on the impacts of disability, their role as potential family breadwinners, the physical demands of their profession, and the growth in their field, have a compelling need for disability insurance. This insurance not only provides financial security in the event of a disability but also ensures peace of mind, knowing that they and their families are protected.
Request A Quote
Get help or a quote from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.