An annuity can be a great way to ensure a steady income stream in retirement. However, there are some things you need to know before you decide if an annuity is right for you. This guide will discuss the risks and benefits of annuities and help you decide if they are right for you.
How Annuities Provide An Income You Can’t Outlive
An annuity is a contract between you and an insurance company in which you make a lump sum payment or series of payments. In exchange, the insurance company agrees to make periodic payments to you for a specified period, usually during retirement. The payments can be made for a specific number of years or the rest of your life.
One of the main advantages of an annuity is that it can provide a stream of income you cannot outlive. So even if you live for 30 years after retirement, you will still have an income. This can be a great way to ensure you will never outlive your savings.
There Are Two Ways To Receive A Retirement Income For Life
There are two ways to receive annuity payments for life: annuitization or lifetime withdrawals.
- With annuitization, you give the insurance company a lump sum of money, and they agree to make periodic payments to you for as long as you live. This payment method is irrevocable, so you cannot change your mind and get your money back.
- You purchase a deferred annuity with a lifetime income rider with lifetime withdrawals, typically at an additional cost. This rider allows you to withdraw from your account while guaranteeing that you will receive payments for life, even if the account balance runs out.
The Benefits Of Receiving An Income You Won’t Outlive
There are several benefits of having an income you cannot outlive.
- First, it can provide peace of mind knowing that you will never have to worry about running out of money in retirement.
- Second, it can allow you to plan your retirement expenses more easily.
- Third, it can help you avoid the need to take on debt in retirement.
- Fourth, it can help you leave a legacy for your family or a favorite charity.
The Risks Of Receiving An Income From An Annuity
While an annuity can be a great way to ensure a steady income in retirement, there are some risks to consider before purchasing one.
- First, some annuities have high fees, eating into your investment.
- Second, annuitized payments are not liquid, meaning you cannot access your money if you need it before the specified period.
- Third, variable annuities are subject to market risk, which means their value can go down if the markets decline.
- Fourth, your beneficiaries will not receive any payments if you die with a straight life payout (annuitization).
Before you purchase an annuity, understand the risks and benefits. Annuities can be a great way to ensure a steady income in retirement, but they are not suitable for everyone. Talk to a financial advisor to see if an annuity is right.
The Bottom Line
Annuities can be a great way to ensure a steady income in retirement, but they are not suitable for everyone. Before you make any decisions, be sure to understand the risks and benefits of annuities. Then, request a quote today to see if an annuity is right for you. Thanks for reading!
Request A Quote
Get help from a licensed financial professional. This service is free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if you outlive your annuity?
Some annuity payouts do not provide an income for life but rather a fixed period of time. If you outlive your annuity, you will not receive any more payments. This is one of the risks of annuities. Before you purchase an annuity, understand all the risks and benefits.
How do you get lifetime annuities?
You can purchase a lifetime income annuity from an independent licensed agent.
How much does a lifetime annuity cost?
Lifetime annuities can vary in cost depending on several factors, including age, health, and the type of annuity. Request a quote today to see how much a lifetime annuity would cost.